The Concert Choir is an integral part of the strong musical tradition of Viterbo University. The Viterbo Concert Choir has toured with the Friendship Ambassadors, was a finalist in the International Choral Competition at Tours, France, and won a second place national prize in the Johnny Mann Great American Choral Festival. They have sung with the American Symphony in Lincoln Center's Avery Fisher Hall, with the La Crosse Symphony Orchestra in Carmina Burana, Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, and Haydn's Creation. They have performed with the Harlem Spiritual Ensemble on Viterbo's Bright Star Season. They have toured in Austria, Germany, Hungary, and Italy. In the United States, they have toured regionally in the Midwest and nationally in the south and east. The choir is known not only for its rich sound, beautiful blend, and energized tone, but also for its challenging selection of literature and stylistic interpretation. In bringing audiences a wide range of contemporary and traditional selections, the Viterbo University Concert Choir is regarded as one of the outstanding performing ensembles in Wisconsin university music. The choir sings three concerts annually and is open to all Viterbo University students by audition. For more information, contact Dr. James Wilson.
9th Street Singers
The 9th Street Singers is a select, small (12–18 voices) choral ensemble dedicated to performing classical, jazz, Broadway, and pop repertoire. This ensemble sings several times a year on campus and for local civic organizations. The 9th Street Singers has toured with the Concert Choir in the US and abroad. For more information, contact Dr. James Wilson.
Open to all students and community members, Choral Arts offers singers the opportunity to perform deeply rich, engaging, and varied works in an environment that is welcoming and accommodating. There is no expectation that participants study (or have studied) music—only that they bring a passion for singing and being part of a choral community.
Choral Arts will rehearse once per week on Tuesday evenings from 7-9 p.m. in the FSPA Lobby inside the Viterbo Fine Arts Center. Rehearsals begin Tuesday, January 16 and will continue through April 30. VCA will participate in the following concerts:
- April 07, 3:00 p.m., Christ Episcopal Church, 111 9th Street North, La Crosse
- May 05, 3:00 p.m., Mary of the Angels Chapel, Viterbo University
Dues for community members are $50 per semester. Our ensemble has reached capacity for spring 2024 and registration is now closed. For more information, contact Dr. James Wilson.
Auditions for Concert Choir and 9th Street Singers
- Auditions will take place on Sunday, August 27, 2023.
- Sign up for your fall 2023 audition HERE.
- Plan to arrive at least ten minutes prior to the start of your scheduled audition. A prepared song with sheet music is recommended, but not required. Dr. Wilson will serve as your audition accompanist.
- Your audition will include vocal range exercises and tonal memory skills to assist in determining which voice part would be most appropriate.
- Auditions are not required for participation in Choral Arts.